Skip to main content

You DON'T Have To Always Have A Plan

"Fail to plan, plan to fail." 

We've all heard this quote. It's a big one in the fitness world, and I've used it myself plenty of times. Because for the most part, it's true. When it comes to training and especially nutrition, having a plan is crucial. I mean, all the fitness "pros" out there plan out their meals and prep their food ahead of time, and then portion it all out into individual tupperware containers, so that must be the only way to succeed, right?

Well, not necessarily.

I am a huge fan of planning. Planning out workouts, planning out meals, and prepping food for the week ahead are all great habits to develop. I do it myself, and it helps me tremendously.

But what about if you DON'T have a plan? What happens when you don't have all your meals pre-cooked and portioned out?  I was just thinking the other day about how the average person getting started with eating healthier may view "food prep". To them, it may be overwhelming. They may think it means eating the same boring meals day in and day out. I think it could possibly deter some people from trying to start eating better if that's what they think is necessary for reaching their goals.

Another downside to feeling that you HAVE to have a plan is that it could be easy for some people to fall into the mindset that if they can't plan out and pre-cook ALL of their meals ahead of time, then they can't eat healthy at all. It goes back to the old "all or nothing" mentality. If following the "perfect" plan and having every meal and snack portioned out is the only way to succeed in their fat loss efforts, then when that doesn't happen and they can't eat "perfect", they just throw in the towel.

Let's face it. Sometimes life is hectic. There are some weeks where you just can't plan and cook all your meals ahead of time...and guess what? That's okay. You can still do the best you can with what you have. You don't have to eat out of tupperware containers for every meal. You don't have to plan out complicated gourmet dinners every single night. You don't HAVE to eat perfect all the time. You don't HAVE to always have a plan. But you DO have to make the best choices you can moment by moment.

Not having everything planned out isn't an excuse to eat like crap. It also doesn't mean you can't lose weight or maintain your physique. There are still plenty of healthy options you can choose from for meals and snacks even when you don't have foods pre-cooked or when you're crazy busy and short on time.

There are lots of things you could throw together to make a super easy, quick, and healthy meal or snack in just a matter of minutes. For example:

-Eggs. It only takes a few minutes to scramble or fry them up for a meal with some Ezekiel toast on the side.
-Canned chicken mixed in with some microwave brown rice and salsa with a bagged salad on the side
-Protein shake with a rice cake and peanut butter on the side or a fruit smoothie made with frozen fruit
-A can of tuna with a little low fat mayo and an apple and some nuts
-Greek yogurt or cottage cheese with some baby carrots or cherry tomatoes on the side

You could make sure to have things like fruit, string cheese, Kind bars, Mission1 or Quest bars, baby carrots, and tuna pouches on hand to grab when you need a quick snack. When it comes to  putting together meals and snacks, just think lean protein source, a serving of carbs, veggies, and a little fat. Easy peasy.

What about when you're out and about? Well, how about stopping at the grocery store for a rotisserie chicken instead of grabbing a pizza on the way home? You can order a grilled chicken salad or wrap with fruit on the side instead of burger and fries at a fast food restaurant. You could keep your car/purse stocked with things like jerky, nuts, apples, and protein bars, so you'll have something to grab when you're on the go. How about packing a lunch for work instead of getting takeout? Not only will you save money, but you'll save a ton of calories, too. Something like turkey deli meat on whole wheat bread with some fruit and a side salad will take less than 5 minutes to prepare the night before.

So there you have it. Even when you don't have a plan, you can still choose to do the best you can. Every time you eat something, it's your choice as to whether it's going to be junk or something relatively healthy. Are all of those things I mentioned "perfect"? No. Would you want to eat like this ALL the time? Probably not. But they are "good enough" choices, and sometimes good enough is better than nothing. As long as you're doing the best you can, not having a "perfect" plan or every single meal portioned out ahead of time is NOT a make or break thing. It's not an excuse to make bad choices.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Putting My Heart Out There

Hey guys. Here's where we're at right now: Matt finished his radiation treatments last week. Did they help? I don't know. He's sleeping a lot more. Having trouble chewing and swallowing. Not eating much. Not talking much, at least not in full sentences. It's just been a slow, steady decline for the last few months. I think it was really too late for radiation....But who knows, maybe it is delaying things. We went in last Tuesday for his infusion and talked with his neuro-oncologist about everything that we've been seeing with Matt, and he decided that we're at the point now where we should discontinue treatments...I feel like it's the right decision, even though it breaks my heart knowing that there is nothing else we can do. But I feel like we've done everything. All the supplements, the diet, the chemo, the radiation... Matt has fought hard. He never gave up hope. He kept the faith. He never complained through any of this. Not once did I hea
People always said That time would heal the pain But how can that be When mine still remains? The tears still fall At just the thought of you So I know that what they say Just can't be true As the years go by I miss you so much still  No matter how much time passes I know I always will How are you not here To ease my hurting heart? Never could I have imagined We would ever be apart My world has been shattered A piece of me is gone And all I can do is pray For strength to live on I know that one day soon I will see you again I just have to try to suffer through And make it until then

Why?

Why? Why do I care so much?  Why do I make sure they brush their teeth at night so that they don't get cavities? Why do I spend my own money to buy them clothes, toys and decorate their rooms, among other things?  Why do I do 5,000 loads of laundry a week to make sure they have clothes to wear to school? Why do I make sure they go to church on Sundays so that they'll be raised to know about Jesus? Why do I try to give them chores and responsibilities so that they will turn out to be decent human beings? Why do I read them a bedtime story at night, even when I'm exhausted? Why do I clean up after them constantly and cook for them and try to always have healthy snacks and food on hand? Why do I go to their sports games and practices, just to feel like the odd man out standing there awkwardly with their bio mom? Why do I give 100% of myself and make so many sacrifices for children I didn't birth? Only to be insulted and told hurtful things? To be made to feel like I'm