Skip to main content

Why I'm Not a Fan of Meal Plans

Being on a "diet" or a meal plan is easy. You eat what foods you're told to eat, and you don't eat foods you're not "allowed" to eat.


The problem is, you don't ever learn how to eat when you AREN'T on a diet or meal plan. When it comes to dieting and nutrition, so many people end up with the "all or nothing" mentality of either eating super "clean" or eating like crap; there is no in-between. And those are the people who are always "on again, off again", never able to get results and actually keep them. 


See, extremes are easy. Finding balance and moderation to eat well consistently is actually the hard part, but it's what brings
long term success.


Now, I'm not saying that following a meal plan or a diet is EASY, what I'm saying is what's actually harder is being able to know how to eat when you're NOT on a meal plan or diet. What's harder is finding balance and consistency with a nutrition style that is sustainable for you.

Yes, a strict meal plan will get you results. But are you able to maintain those results when you're no longer following the meal plan? When you're tired of eating the same foods over and over again? When you give in and eat something that's not "allowed" on your plan? If you gain back all the weight you lost afterwards, did it really work?

As you all probably know, I'm a big fan of flexible eating. Does it work for everyone? No, maybe not. But the main reason I'm a fan is because it changes your mindset. The thing with most meal plans and diets is that there are certain foods you "can't" have. And what usually happens when you "can't" have something, is that it's all you want. So as soon as you are off your plan, you have no self-control over those once forbidden foods and end up bingeing or going on a "free-for-all" and eating everything you couldn't have while on your meal plan.

I don't meticulously track macros, but I do practice flexible eating in the sense that I don't restrict any foods from my diet. It has been a lifesaver for me. Now, some people may look at me and just think, "Oh, she has good genetics". What they probably don't realize is I am actually very structured with my meals and that I don't just eat whatever I want all the time. So when I say that I include things like pizza, donuts, brownies and ice cream in my diet, it DOESN'T mean that I'm eating those things every day. It's just that I know that I CAN have those foods if I want them, and I do include them in my diet in moderation.

Having no foods off limits and knowing that there are no foods that are inherently "bad" or "fattening" makes ALL the difference. That mindset is the reason I am able to sustain this lifestyle and stay lean year round without "falling off the wagon", or being on and off of a meal plan or diet all time time. I have found a healthy form of balance and moderation that works for ME, and that will look different for everyone.

I know it's still hard for some people to accept the fact that you can actually include some "junk" foods into your diet and still get results, even when fat loss is your goal. Some people will never accept that anything besides super strict "clean" eating can work for weight management and/or fat loss goals. But it IS possible and it DOES work for so many people.

No,flexible eating is not an excuse to eat junk all the time, as many people mistakenly believe. Most people who follow flexible dieting or IIFYM actually do eat lots of veggies, lean proteins, healthy carbs, etc., but they just know that they can fit treats into their diet here and there without it negatively affecting their physique goals. Eating flexibly is all about having a healthy relationship with food. It's about being able to eat foods you enjoy in moderation so that it's not just a short term fix but something that you can continue with forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Putting My Heart Out There

Hey guys. Here's where we're at right now: Matt finished his radiation treatments last week. Did they help? I don't know. He's sleeping a lot more. Having trouble chewing and swallowing. Not eating much. Not talking much, at least not in full sentences. It's just been a slow, steady decline for the last few months. I think it was really too late for radiation....But who knows, maybe it is delaying things. We went in last Tuesday for his infusion and talked with his neuro-oncologist about everything that we've been seeing with Matt, and he decided that we're at the point now where we should discontinue treatments...I feel like it's the right decision, even though it breaks my heart knowing that there is nothing else we can do. But I feel like we've done everything. All the supplements, the diet, the chemo, the radiation... Matt has fought hard. He never gave up hope. He kept the faith. He never complained through any of this. Not once did I hea
People always said That time would heal the pain But how can that be When mine still remains? The tears still fall At just the thought of you So I know that what they say Just can't be true As the years go by I miss you so much still  No matter how much time passes I know I always will How are you not here To ease my hurting heart? Never could I have imagined We would ever be apart My world has been shattered A piece of me is gone And all I can do is pray For strength to live on I know that one day soon I will see you again I just have to try to suffer through And make it until then

Why?

Why? Why do I care so much?  Why do I make sure they brush their teeth at night so that they don't get cavities? Why do I spend my own money to buy them clothes, toys and decorate their rooms, among other things?  Why do I do 5,000 loads of laundry a week to make sure they have clothes to wear to school? Why do I make sure they go to church on Sundays so that they'll be raised to know about Jesus? Why do I try to give them chores and responsibilities so that they will turn out to be decent human beings? Why do I read them a bedtime story at night, even when I'm exhausted? Why do I clean up after them constantly and cook for them and try to always have healthy snacks and food on hand? Why do I go to their sports games and practices, just to feel like the odd man out standing there awkwardly with their bio mom? Why do I give 100% of myself and make so many sacrifices for children I didn't birth? Only to be insulted and told hurtful things? To be made to feel like I'm